Sunday, January 13, 2008

Meeting word count quota is easy...if you cheat

Today I learned it's very easy to double your daily word quota when you can steal half of them from something you've already written.

I restarted my novel from page one on the first of January, giving myself a 1000 word daily quota.
I'm using the Don't Break The Chain method to keep track of my progress, and so far I've got one two-day break in my chain, yesterday and the day before.

But today is January 13, and I've got 23,000 words written on "The Crack of Venus: The Secret History of How Galileo Galileo Saved the World in the Year 1633" -- that's almost double my quota even with two skipped days.

Of course, much of that is adapted from previous drafts of the story, so it's kinda cheating.

But hey, whatever works.

Incidentally, I'm really liking the way it's flowing now. It's a book I'd enjoy reading, which is really the only benchmark of quality that I can apply. It's not for everyone, but it is for me -- why would I want to write anything else?

1 comment:

Jorge said...

"Crack of Venus"

TEE HEE!